What to do in the event of a Home Insurance incident / claim?

home insurance claims
  • Please contact us at 01 213 5000 (9am to 5pm Mon-Fri) or your Insurance Company as soon as possible after the event to report claim details.
  • Please refer to policy documentation for details of cover, excesses and exclusions.
  • Any property that is damaged or destroyed should be stored safely as the Insurance Company will need to inspect damage and assess costs.
  • Please note that home insurance claims can impact on any no claims premium discount allowed on the policy.

Storm Flood or Water Damage

  • Contact a reputable builder to arrange emergency repairs or boarding-up.
  • Wet or damaged items can be lifted or removed from your home, BUT do not dispose of any damaged items until your claim has been settled or these items have been inspected. Store in a shed, attic, or outhouse.

Theft or Vandalism

  • Secure your property and its contents at all times.
  • Immediately report the loss to the Gardai.
  • Gather supporting documentation for any stolen or damaged items e.g. receipts, photos, valuations etc.

Here are some Dos’ and Donts’ in relation to maintaining your property after a claims incident

  • DO contact a repair specialist e.g. plumber or builder if you need emergency repairs (in the event of water damage or a break-in)
  • DO move soft furnishings and electrical goods to higher ground (in the event of water damage)
  • DO try to take some photos of the scene using your mobile phone
  • DON'T carry out any structural repairs
  • DON'T instruct experts or contractors without prior agreement from us (or your Insurance Company)
  • DON'T arrange for non-emergency repairs without checking with us (or your Insurance Company) first
  • DON'T engage any builders to start any structural repairs without our (or your Insurance Company’s) agreement
  • DON'T dispose of any damaged property until we (or your Insurance Company) have had the chance to examine it
  • DON'T throw away any paper work or receipts – this will be required to support your claim

You can appoint your own public loss assessor to help with the preparation and management of your claim, but remember if you choose to do this, the cost will be at your own expense.

Flood and snow damage

Here are some things you can do to keep flooding or snow damage to a minimum:

  • Stay away from dangerous areas
  • You can arrange urgent building repairs but be sure to obtain and retain supporting paperwork
  • Ensure the gutters are kept clear
  • If you can access your property (but it is not habitable) please arrange to have the electricity, gas and mains water switched off
  • If your home is habitable, try to dry-out your property and contents.

Contact Us


The Courtyard, Carmanhall Road
Sandyford Business Estate
Dublin 18, Ireland, D18 X377
Tel: +353 (1) 213 5000
Email: insure@arachas.ie


9 Eastgate Avenue, Eastgate Business Park
Little Island
Cork, Ireland, T45 YN92
Tel: +353 (21) 427 0505
Email: insure@arachas.ie

South East

Marine Point
Waterford, Ireland, X91 W0XW
Tel: +353 (51) 877 700
Email: insure@arachas.ie
Assurex global irish broker assosiation broker at lloyds

Arachas Corporate Brokers Limited trading as Arachas, Capital IM, Covercentre is regulated by the Central Bank of Ireland.
© Copyright 2019